Sunday 5 March 2017

4th march - my final blog


Well this I guess is my last blog about India- all home safe and sound- well back in the UK for Michelle she still has the journey back to Tasmania !

we have had an amazing time and its made me think how things have changed since my Aunt was here so many years ago- this is a picture of her(wearing the saree) with a friend taken in India in 1932 and
 below is a picture of myself and michelle in our punjabi suits.

India has come a long way since 1932- we have learnt how Gandhi led protesters on marches against Bristish rule including the salt march in 1930-which led finally to Indian independence in 1947.

The India I have seen has been vibrant and friendly but with a dichotomy of extremes from high rise flats and 5 star hotels to slumsand absolute poverty.

Its vibrancy and diversity come together to offer the visitor something so different to any other country  and the friendliness of all the people we have met  have made this  a visit far better than anywhere i have visited before

I hope you have enjoyed reading the blogs about my holiday as much as I have enjoyed sharing a little  bit with you.

I think aunty margaret would have been so pleased I visited a country that she had spoken about briefly when I was young- I wish I had asked more questions  but one which has changed so much- I am hoping to try and put together some of her accounts in India from diaries, photos and telegrams home- many years before  direct flights mobile phones and facebook- a time that I feel privieldged  to have a liitle knowledge about her and to have known her & have such precious  black & white photos of many years ago.


1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your experiences! Thank you for sharing it with us! Hope you have a safe journey home and see you soon! Kathrin

    ReplyDelete